A4 Design & Print Ltd Northern Urban League - Event 1 - Pilmuir, Thornhill and Knockomie
Kindly sponsored by A4 Design & Print Ltd, Moravian and INVOC invite you to enter the A4 Northern Urban League. Four events over four weeks in June 2023.
Event 1 is being organised by Moravian.
The event dates and locations, which have now been confirmed with permissions, are as follows:
- Wednesday 7 June 2023 – Pilmuir, Thornhill and Knockomie in Forres.
- Thursday 15 June 2023 – UHI and Raigmore in Inverness
- Thursday 22 June 2023 - Inshes Park in Inverness.
- Wednesday 28 June 2023 – Elgin South.
Two courses will be on offer: a long (5-6.5 km) and a short (2-3.5 km). Juniors under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult (not merely shadowing). Seniors competing and accompanying juniors MUST run their own course first. Competitors take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety.
Points awarded for each race and prizes after the final event.
Registration/Entry on the Day and dibber hire will be available from the back of the Organiser's car. There will be a Moravian Club banner next to it on the day! Download will be by registration in the Download car. Signs will be present to indicate the vehicles.
Directions and Parking
Event registration will be on Blaven Court - near to Forres Tesco and Lidl. What three words:///resembles.haunts.pylon. Please self park in the area, but avoid parking in Pilmuir (as this will be in the competition area). Parking options include Blaven Court and West Road (by Lidl).
Start and Finish
Start and Finish. The start and finish will be adjacent to event registration at Blaven Court in Forres.
First Aid. At registration. The nearest A&E hospital is Dr Gray’s Hospital in Elgin (15 mins drive). A map to find the hospital can be obtained at registration.
- Long - 5.1 km (straight-line), 23 controls, 25m climb.
- Short - 2.6 km (straight-line), 13 controls, 15m climb.
The courses will enter the housing estates of Pilmuir and Thornhill in Forres and extend into Knockomie for the Long course.
The courses have additional Out of Bounds barriers printed in deep purple on the map. These will be across some paths and alleyways. Please observe them and do not cross.
Participants must report to download by the Course Closure time of 2000 hours, even if they retire.
The terrain is relatively flat overall and consists of paved areas, housing estate roads and grassed areas. Parts of the urban area consist of narrow lanes and passageways.
Participants are reminded to acquaint themselves with the map symbols for urban orienteering and un-crossable boundaries, in particular. Please respect and observe all un-crossable boundaries and out-of-bounds areas on the map, even if the terrain suggests that the area/feature could be crossed. Should participants be seen to cross an un-crossable boundary or knowingly cross one, then they may be disqualified or should declare themselves disqualified, respectively.
The event is suitable for the wearing of shorts and road shoes.
Entries opened for the series on 24 May 2023, via SIEntries.
Sign up to all four events and receive the following discounts:
- Senior Non-member: £24 down to £20.
- Senior Member: £20 down to £16.
- Junior/Student Non-member: £12 down to £10.
- Junior/Student Member: £8 down to £7.
For event #1, entries close at midnight on Sunday 4 June 2023.
- Senior Member (per person): £5.00.
- Senior Non-Member (per person): £6.00.
- Junior / Student Member (per person): £2.00.
- Junior / Student Non-Member (per person): £3.00.
Card payments preferred.
- The A940 Grantown Road heading south out of Forres and the B9011 Nairn Road heading West towards Tesco are strictly Out of Bounds for all participants. The courses have been designed to avoid these roads.
- The courses cross estate roads. All participants MUST check roads for vehicles, cyclists and other road users before crossing them.
- Juniors under 16 on the day of the event MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult who is responsible for the safety of their under 16 Junior on the course.
- There are some wide drainage ditches connecting Pilmuir and Thornhill areas which are steep-sided and contain large rocks/boulders. These are marked as Out of Bounds on the map and must not be crossed or entered.
- Participants are advised of potential trip hazards on the courses, including tree roots, stony and broken ground, litter, kerbs and steps.
- There are some passageways and paths which have been marked on the map as Out of Bounds (thick purple line). Please observe them and do not cross them.
- Participants advised to be mindful of other competitors and users on the courses, particularly when in narrow passageways and entering those passageways via a blind corner.
- Participants advised that a waterproof may be made compulsory if inclement weather. Participants will be advised by a sign at the start and by the Organiser at registration, as required.
COVID-19 Guidance (Updated May 2022)
The SOA has issued the following updated COVID-19 event guidance with effect from March 2022 for Clubs to follow.
All competitors must not attend an orienteering event if they have symptoms or test positive for COVID-19 (even if they have received two doses of the vaccine and a booster) until they have completed their period of self-isolation.
Entry on the day (EOD) at events and activities is permitted but clubs should encourage physical distancing around registration or results displays even when outdoors.
Clubs are to avoid close packed (less than 1m separation) groups of people even when outdoors. Such close packing has been known to occur around both registration and results displays – it can also occur with helpers at registration and download.
- Indoor public spaces may be used for events and activities, but current face covering regulations must be followed and behaviours such as improved ventilation, provision of hand sanitiser, adapting layouts to encourage social distancing and encouraging the use of face masks to reduce spread should be adopted.
As a result, Moravian will continue to make hand sanitiser available for use by competitors and volunteers at the registration and download areas.
Competitors are asked not to form close (less than 1m separation) groups at events (be it outdoor or indoor), particularly around registration and download, and are encouraged to minimise contact with SI boxes, including Clear, Check and SI AIR test boxes, and the download equipment.
Where indoor/enclosed spaces are used which have restricted air circulation, Moravian will adapt layouts to maintain at least 1m segregation and encourage competitors to wear a mask.